Boxers Greer Hall and Jordan Wilson fought bravely but were on the wrong end of unanimous decisions in their quarter-final bouts today.
Hall went down to polished Canadian bantamweight Scarlett Delgardo, who won every round on all three scorecards.
Delgardo was elusive and was
able to throw power punches with both hands. However, Greer stuck to her task, kept her defence tight and gave a good account of herself.Wilson met Pakistani Fatima Zahra in a lightweight contest and didn't have the best of fortune with the judges. She lost the first round on all five judges' scorecards, but in the second round she was far more aggressive and forced Zahra to take a standing count. Surprisingly, despite the standing count every judge gave the round to the Pakistani.
Wilson attacked relentlessly through the third round and was running on fumes by the end. But she landed some meaty blows and won the round of four judges' scorecards. Only the Australian judge voted for Zahra.
It was a close fight, one that a boxer hopes goes in her favour. In this case Wilson didn't have that bit of luck on her side.
Wilson said after the bout she was 'heartbroken'.
'I can't change it. She's an awesome fighter, but we worked so hard for this for so long. It wasn't quite how I wanted it. I'm gutted, but I gave it everything.'
_no_upscale()%20(20).jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment