North Harbour Rugby can confirm that our Hilux NPC team will be captained by Jed Melvin this season.
A homegrown talent, who played his junior rugby at Silverdale and represented the Orewa College 1st XV, Melvin broke into our team
for the first time in 2022 following strong form for East Coast Bays in our Kennards Hire Premier 1 competition. Melvin was our leading try-scorer in 2025 and debuted for the Blues earlier this year.
"It's a privilege to be North Harbour Captain for 2026", Melvin remarked. "I've been at Harbour my whole life and playing for this team one day was always a huge goal. I've got a lot of fun memories of coming to watch Harbour with my Dad, seeing some amazing footy. Now being in the team, it's a dream come true"; he said whilst reminiscing on his local upbringing.
Melvin became just the third-ever player, after Greg Rawlinson and Bryn Gatland, to win our trophies for Supporters' Club Player of the Year, Coaches' Player of the Year, and also Players' Player of the Year, during our 2025 Awards Night. He mentioned his debut in 2022, and his victory over Canterbury at North Harbour Stadium in 2024, as career highlights.
Paying tribute to the men who have come before him, Melvin said, "I've played for some really awesome captains in the past. When I first came in, it was Bryn Gatland, then it transitioned to Cameron Suafoa. Both are incredible men, both on and off the field". "I'm excited to take in what the past captains have taught me and hopefully just leave the jersey in a better place".
Our first Home Game at North Harbour Stadium this season is on Thursday, 6th August, at 7:10pm. Become a Maxim Hotel Season Member and cheer for our new captain and our team!

No comments:
Post a Comment