Wednesday, August 12, 2026

Christchurch City Council appoints Chief Executive


Christchurch City Council Interim Chief Executive Bede Carran has been appointed to the permanent role.

Mr Carran was previously the Chief Executive of Waimate District Council from 2014 to 2016 and Tīmaru District Council from 2016 to 2023. 

He joined Christchurch City Council as its General Manager Finance, Risk and

Performance/Chief Financial Officer in 2024 and was appointed Interim Chief Executive following the departure of Mary Richardson in April 2026.

Mayor Phil Mauger said he was thrilled to announce Mr Carran’s appointment. 

“I’m delighted that Bede will be taking the role on a permanent basis. He brings the steady hands the Council needs as we face increasing financial pressure, high expectations from our community, as well as ongoing changes to local government,” he said. 

“I look forward to working side-by-side with him. We will continue the long-term momentum for Christchurch and Banks Peninsula, as well as providing the excellent day to day service delivery our residents expect from us.” 

Mr Carran said he was privileged to be appointed to the role of Chief Executive for New Zealand’s second largest city. 

“I’ve developed strong relationships throughout my time in local government and understand the challenges facing the sector,” he said. 

“There’s a big job ahead for the Council and I want to keep building on the strong progress in recent years. My immediate priority will be to ensure the Council continues to operate effectively, efficiently and transparently, with community at the heart of everything it does.

“I’m looking forward to working with staff and the elected members, who always put the city at the forefront of everything we do.”

He will officially take up the role on Wednesday 12 August for a term of four years. His salary will be $450,000 excluding superannuation. 

There were 127 applicants for the Chief Executive role. A short list of three candidates were interviewed by the full Council.

No comments:

Post a Comment