Tuesday, July 28, 2026

Mukuka wins tough fight


Alex Mukuka had to battle hard to win his opening bout in the 55kg division.

The 30-year-old, who finished fifth when he competed in the 57kg category at the 2022 Commonwealth Games, beat Fabrice Valerie of Mauritius 4-1. Three judges gave

him all three rounds, and a fourth judge gave him two rounds. However, the American judge went against the tide and gave the fight to the Mauritian.

Mukaka, who fights for the Walton club near Matamata, won because of his aggression. He said his camp knew Valerie and felt he was uncomfortable when having to move backwards.

'I kept attacking him and I could see he didn't like it. Once I saw some blood on him I wanted to go in and finish it, but I knew my corner wanted me to stay calm.'

Mukaka said it felt good to get the first bout out of the way and work his way into the tournament.

No comments:

Post a Comment