Alex Mukaka was eliminated in the quarter-finals of the 55kg boxing.
The 30-year-old, who finished fifth when he competed in the 57kg category at the 2022 Commonwealth Games, found Namibian Philip Haoseb a difficult customer.
The Namibian won all three rounds
decsively, though because of points deducted for warnngs, the Japanese judge called the fight even. The final result was a 4-0 win on points for Haoseb.Mukaka, who fights for the Walton club near Matamata, tried to be his normal aggressive self, but he was up against a canny fighter who was difficult to fluster. He was given a standing eight count in the second round.
Mukaka conceded Haoseb was a good fighter, but felt he was finishing fast and that with another round, he might have knocked out the Namibian.
'I could feel I was getting better the longer it went. We have a similar style, toe to toe, and I was looking to get in that one big shot. I'm a little disappointed with the result, but very proud of how I fought. I gave it everything I had in there.'
_no_upscale()%20(9).jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment